Firearms have played a central role in the evolution of armed conflict and form a core study of the material collected here at tacticalworks.ca. While the articles you’ll read hear are primarily related to discussion and reviewing of equipment, keep in mind that if you chose to employ any firearm as a piece of your tactical toolkit the most important thing you will ever do with that firearm is train. A firearm is of little use if you are the weakest link in the chain.
There is a long history of the use of shotguns in combat and for good reason, as they are an extremely versatile firearms with a deserved reputation as a desisive fight stopper at close range. Close range is the key here, as a shotgun is primarily a firearm for close quarters battle given that they lack the range required to effectively engage a threat beyond about 125 yards. Past this distance and a better choice is a battlerifle, however at ranges closer than 50 yards there is little that is as effective as a shotgun.
- Tactical Shotgun Selection – General Considerations
- Patterning – The most important thing you will ever do with your shotgun.
- Shotgun Patterning Examples
- Shotgun Ammunition – Fundamental introduction to shotgun ammunition.
- Shotgun Terminal Ballistics – Gelatin and live tissue testing with various 12 gauge ammo.
- Remington 870 vs Mossberg 590
Famous US general George S Patton was quoted as saying “In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.” What he was referring to was the first semiautomatic rifle to be the standard small arm of the US Military and the first semiautomatic rifle to be adopted by a major military power, the .30 caliber M1 Garand. In our mind, three features of this rifle forged the foundation of Patton’s opinion and they are that the rifle was of the semi-auto variety, that the rifle was reliable, and terminal ballistics that typically got the job done.
Since the M1 Garand, there have been many other .30 caliber battle rifles fielded by various armies around the world. We’re going to look at what we believe to be the cream of the crop. We’re also going to discuss the development and adoptation of the .223NATO as platform for a battlerifle and explore how and why many of the older battlerifles are being pulled out of storage and re-fielded in response to some of the shortcomings of the “ligher-and-faster is better” church.
- M14/M1A – A traditionally under-rated yet significant consideration.
- M14/M1A Sage EBR/ChopMod – The venerable M1A gets a serious upgrade.
- The SAGE EBR CQB Chopmod – Weightloss EBR (Companion to EBR ChopMod article)
- AR15 – Evidence of a strong evolutionary process continuing in small arms development.
- FN FAL Battlerifles
- H&K Battlerifles
- Battlerifle Terminal Ballistics – Gelatin and live tissue testing with various .223 & .308 ammo.
- Selection and construction of a precision rifle.
- Remington 700 VS – Review
- Ammunition – What to consider when evaluating ammunition for a tactical precision rifle.
- Long Distance Marksmanship – Develop the skills to hit out past 1000 yards.
- Precision Rifle Optics
- Body Armour Intro
- Hard Body Armour – Rifle threat protection.
- Shotgun vs Body Armour – We were surprised…you’ll likely be too!
- Red Dot Review – EOTech vs Aimpoint vs Trijicon vs Dr.Optik!
- Shotgun Accessories – All about that extra stuff you can hang off your tactical shotgun.
- Weapon Lights – Likely the only essential accessory for your tactical firearm